About the Garden
The Community Garden began in 2019 through the combined efforts of the Whitehouse High School FFA, City Council, The REC, Brad’s Transmissions, Josh Hawkins Automotive, Republic Services, CrossFit Tyler, Group M7, and three anonymous donors, along with the help of Parks and Recreation committee and numerous amazing volunteers.
- Nine Raised Beds
Community Garden Rules
The City of Whitehouse is the highest governing authority at any City of Whitehouse Community Garden. Breaking any rules, terms, and conditions is cause for exclusion from the garden and loss of your plot.
1. You will receive one verbal warning from the garden manager.
2. If no response or correction has been made, you will receive written notice two weeks later.
3. In another two weeks, if no response or correction has been made, you will receive written final notification that you have forfeited your gardening privileges and plot.
4. You will be allowed to reapply for another garden plot only after one year, and only at the discretion of the garden manager.
Rules, Terms, and Conditions for Participation
If accepted as a gardener, I will abide by the following rules, terms, and conditions:
1. I use this garden at the sole discretion of The City of Whitehouse Community Garden. I agree to abide by its policies and practices. I affirm that I am a resident of the City of Whitehouse.
2. The gardening year is from January 1 – December 31. There is no fee for use of a plot.
3. Once I have been assigned a plot, I will cultivate and plant it within two weeks. I will garden year round. My plot cannot be left fallow or unused for any period of three weeks or longer, more than one time a year.
4. My plot is either 4x8 or 4x7 feet. I will not expand my plot beyond this measurement or into paths or other plots. I will keep all my plants within the limits of my garden plot and will not allow any plants to grow more than six feet high. I must keep my plot free of weeds, pests and diseases. 5. I will keep my plot, paths, and surrounding areas clean and neat. I will completely separate my trash into two groups: 1) dead plants, leaves, and other green waste plant parts and 2) paper, plastic, cardboard, wood, metal, etc. I will put each type of trash only in the areas designated specifically for each. Anything I bring from my home I will take back home. I will not bring household trash and leave it at the City of Whitehouse Community Garden.
6. If I now have more than one plot, I will give up my additional plots by the end of this gardening year (December 31).
7. I will not plant any illegal plant. I will not smoke, drink alcoholic beverages, use illegal drugs, or gamble in the garden. I will not come to the garden while under the influence of alcohol or illegal drugs. I will not bring weapons or pets or other animals to the garden.
8. Guests and visitors, including children, may enter the garden only if I accompany them. They must follow all rules, terms, and conditions stated here. I will supervise my children at all times when they are in the garden. I am solely responsible for the behavior of my guests.
9. The garden manager may assign me general garden maintenance tasks each month, and I must complete them by the end of the month that I am assigned them.
10. I will water my plot according to water-wise guidelines.
11. If workshops are offered, I will attend at least one on each of the following topics: soil preparation and maintenance, watering the vegetable garden, and pest and disease control.
12. I will not apply any pesticides in the garden without the approval of the garden manager.
13. I will not make duplicate keys of any locks at the garden or give my key or lock combination to another person.
14. I will not take food or plants from other gardeners’ plots. I will not take anything from the garden that is not rightfully mine.
15. I will respect other gardeners, and I will not use abusive or profane language or discriminate against others.
16. I will work to keep the garden a happy, secure, and enjoyable place where all participants can garden and socialize peacefully in a neighborly manner.
17. I forfeit my right to sue the owner of the property.